On that day, it felt like we'd come a long way. And today, it feels like we've come a longer way still! In the year we've been in the house, we've
- Thrown out most of the contents of it (but the garage is still full)
- Re-acquired our possessions which were in storage for 18 months and (mostly) unpacked them
- Cleared the garden (still no lawn and some digging still to go but its way better than it was
- Got all the guttering fixed
- Added central heating
- Rewired the house
- Become an aunt and uncle
- Completely made over the front garden
- Acquired a piano
- We've both changed jobs and/or been promoted
- Been broken into
- Redecorated most of the ground floor
- Paid the mortgage for 12 months
All in all its been a pretty exciting time, and its hard to believe its a whole 12 months since we picked up the keys, and wandered around the house, not quite believing it was real (it was, filth and all!). Its been quite a ride, cost more than we thought, and been at least as bad as we'd feared :) We've had lots of help from friends and family and we're very grateful for everything everyone has done to help, advise, or whatever. I was at my mum's house last weekend, and realised with a jolt I was homesick ... for Leeds. I've been homesick for her home pretty much since I left it - but this is my home now.
I know there will be other events in our lives, and harder times probably ahead. But for now we feel lucky; we're happy, we're healthy, and I hope it lasts!